Sponsor Licence UK Guide (2023)

NRI Law Chambers is a distinguished UK immigration law firm, renowned for its expertise and based in the heart of London.

For over a decade, we have successfully assisted a multitude of clients, including those in need of a sponsor licence (previously known as Tier 2 sponsor licence). Our commitment to excellence is reflected in our impressive trust rating of 4.9/5, based on numerous reviews on TrustPilot and Google.

In light of the introduction of the Skilled Worker route, we have been diligently supporting clients in securing a Skilled Worker sponsor licence (formerly known as Tier 2 General). This prepares them for the changes brought about by the UK’s departure from the European Union.


How to get a sponsored License for your Business, Watch this Video Below:

Q: Sponsor licence (formerly Tier 2 sponsor licence) guidance

A: The Home Office has published new guidance for sponsor licence applications. This reflects changes made to UK immigration rules in December 2020, notably, the replacement of the Tier 2 (General) visa route for sponsored employment with the new Skilled Worker visa route. From 1 January 2021, companies must have a valid sponsor licence in order to employ all skilled workers from the EEA and Switzerland, this is if they have not been granted pre-settled or settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme.

Q: What are the eligibility requirements for a sponsor licence?

A: To be eligible to apply for a sponsor licence, your organisation must have a UK presence and be operating or trading lawfully in the UK. If you have multiple UK branches you may apply for one licence to cover all your linked UK entities – alternatively, you might apply for a separate licence for each branch, depending on your circumstances.

If you are required to be registered with or inspected/monitored by a statutory body to operate lawfully in the UK, you will need to submit proof that you (and any branches covered by the licence) are registered with the appropriate body. You may also need to supply evidence that you hold the appropriate planning permission or local planning authority consent to run your class of business at your trading address.

The Home Office must be satisfied that you are able to offer genuine employment in a skilled occupation and that you will pay the correct rate of salary, as specified by the Home Office.

As part of your licence application, you are pledging to accept all of the duties associated with being a sponsor licence holder.

Individuals are not normally eligible to be recognised as sponsors, but an exception applies if the individual is a sole trader who wishes to sponsor someone to work in their business.

We have an in-depth understanding of Sponsor Licence applications, as well as ensuring all our clients remain compliant the duration they hold the licence.

Talk to the Expert